Thursday, May 10, 2012

What I Read That Mattered


What I Read That Mattered

                Hopefully when I’m looking back on this letter in the following years I remember all the “reading” I did in high school. I want to remember looking back at spark notes for all the reading that I didn’t do, and all the books that I should have read an I managed not to read at all but make it by in the class and still get a good grade. I’m sure the teacher reading this is snarling at this letter trying to think of all the way that they could eliminate spark notes from the internet and make their classes harder. But in fact through all the spark notes, I did read some books. I enjoyed the transition of books that I read from a freshman to a senior, the books not only got deeper, but they applied more to your life as you grew older and you life’s decisions began to transition. Freshmen year my favorite book was The Alchemist, now yes this book was the first book we read going into high school but it was a nice easy read that portrayed your future to you, at that point you were young in life and waiting for your future. Sophomore year the books weren’t all that interesting, but they did get deeper and made you think more. Junior year, the book that I liked the most was Walden, this book was a very refreshing book it let you look at the simpler things in life and help you look at the more important things. And finally senior year, this year Mrs. Elliott defiantly knew how to pick readings that directly applied to seniors, they all consisted of a journey that opened up your perspectives to the future and made you realize that right now you really are at a crossroads in your life and things are going to be changing a lot. The one for the year would have to be The Poisonwood Bible that book defiantly symbolized a crossroads in life and a change in those people’s lives that was defiantly significant, much like our lives right now. I really enjoyed this transition from year to year and the transition through them. I guess I will remember my memories with my English teachers more than the books that I read over the years. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this subject as well?
-Kyle Fischer

3 comments:

  1. I think when you go back and read this section in your senior memoir, your intro will make you laugh and bring back memories of doing homework the night before it's due, and trying to make up answers on tests the day of. I think Sparknotes is a blessing and a curse- if you use it correctly you can learn about things your mind couldn't quite grasp in the book, but it also allows the student to become lazy. And I truly believe Mrs. Elliott's approach to reading senior year was the perfect way to end our high school lives and begin our transition into adulthood and college!

    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this reflection because it seems that since freshman year the books can relate to our transition through the high school life. It is as if teachers plan out our reading books perfectly each year so that it can relate to past books and yet foreshadow what is to come in our future. Each year the books get more in depth with life lessons and try to give us insight of what is to be prepared for or expect. It is now the time where teachers can no longer tell us what to read to help us through our high school life because we are at the point where it is time for us to become independent and make our own path.
    -Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashely, yes Mrs. Elliott did do a perfect job allowing us to become ourselves in pur readings something that will become a very vital part of college and our fututre. It must be a "reward" of sometype.
    - Kyle Fischer

    ReplyDelete