Thursday, May 10, 2012

Because I Could Not Stop For Death Analysis

In class last week we had to write an analysis on the philospohical and sociological merit in this poem and analyze Dickensons opinion on life. As I sat in class leausurly glossing over the poem I thought to my self, "Ehh another assessment, another poem" but then as I kept glossing over it a couple of things connected for me in the poem. First off Dickenson looks at life as a thing to be lived to its fullest, with of course the possiblility of death at any time. She talks about death so comfortably that it almost seems like she has come to terms that eventuially "Death will stop for her" but until that day she will do nothing less with her life, she wont stop loving the life she lives just because the thought of death may slow her down. And another thing I found quite interesting was the fact that Dickenson talks about death in such a calm, nice manner, something, or in this case someone that is taking her on an new adventure. She talks about going into "eternity", like after death there is another life to be lived in "immortality." If you think about it, this is a pretty cool poem, she gives you a feeling that nobody should stop for the inevitable death to get you and when it finally does come, embrace it.
-Kyle Fischer

2 comments:

  1. I was too struck by the way Dickenson seemed to be so accepting of death- as it is inevitable to every human being. I think she chose to take it as a positive because it allowed her a chance to reflect on the simple beauties in life that she seemed to skip over when she was hurredly continuing on in her every day busy life. I agree that it was rather a unique poem to analyze for the assessment.


    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well that this poem gave me a unique look towards death. People usually see death as yes, an inevitable part of life, but also as a scary intimidating situation. This poem enlightens the mood towards death and makes it not seem as a bad aspect of life, but more of as an occurrence that we have to embrace and can never neglect.
    -Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete