Sunday, May 6, 2012

So recently we had to do our favorite poem project and it actually gave me some insight into what mindset I should have after graduation. I knew I would be facing many new experiences and the gravity of it had not really hit me up until about last week. This routine that all of us have been going through 5 days a week, for 9 months of the last four years, is going to drastically change as soon as May 23rd passes. I kept telling myself that I would go head on and face whatever problems came about but I know that I cannot be prepared for everything. "To The Dust Of The Road" is the poem that I chose to do my favorite poem project on and felt that it gave fairly good advice on the near future. The poem begins saying that every day will begin almost the same, being quite monotonous, but as soon as one leaves their regular morning routine, they step out into the unknown. After that point, the day is entirely up to you and it is no one's responsibility but your own to make that day count. Another message the poem points out is "and you are one with it until you have/ made your way up to the top of your climb/ and brightened in that moment of that day" meaning that each moment is an accomplishment, but only when looked back upon. The author is trying to tell people to see each day as a victory and to be proud of their actions. Looking back on those seemingly insignificant actions can also motivate you to continue through a current challenge that you are facing. Seeing what you did to overcome the last challenge and realizing that no matter what happens you will get through it will get you through whatever stands in your way. The poem is basically saying to make every day its own victory and that is a good quote to live by.

2 comments:

  1. This message is great for all of us seniors graduating in a couple of weeks. How did you find this poem?

    -Collin Gilchrist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in 180 More. The book is in Elliott's class on her bookshelf. It was actually one of the first ones that I read but I ended up going back to it after I read through some others.

      Delete