Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Existentialism in Heart of Darkness

So you all know that we are talking about existentialism in class and have done a few activities based on it. What I personally have taken from it is that existentialism is basically living life by what you choose to make it. There is not necessarily a purpose to any one activity and the best way to live is to take each event at face value. Learn the lessons from it, but don't necessarily let it control any part of your life because the next random event could change your whole perception of the first.
I recently began reading "Heart of Darkness" for my 20th century novel and have notice several existential ideals throughout the book. Marlow, the main character, is sent into Africa to be the captain of a steam ship on the Congo River. In the book, he refers to this river as a serpent, sometimes affiliated with the Devil. He allows his fear to lead him into his new job with great caution (an existential idea that fear drives us) and possibly gains a false impression of what his experience will lead him to. This is one of the topics of existentialism that I disagree with; that fear controls our lives. I feel that every person has the choice of whether or not to allow fear to cripple them and stop them from pursuing what they truly want to do. Yes, fear does play a large role and even those who say they are "fearless" must be afraid of something in life, but they choose to get over those fears rather then be controlled by them.
Another ideal of existentialism is the role of God. In the book, Marlow gets his assignment from an all white shining city that to many is "pure", symbolizing heaven. The man that actually speaks to Marlow has a low booming voice and is seen very briefly over an elevated desk. This God-like figure directs Marlow into a major life decision and Marlow must accept that because of his struggles to maintain a steady life. Existentialism is the presence of nothingness. No other-worldly figure can allow humans to recognize their true potential, only the person who takes control of their life will see how far they can truly go. "Nothingness [is] the placeholder of possibility". Only an empty feeling can drive a person to realize their potential and it is human thought, not necessarily a higher power, that pushes them through their endeavors.

-Kevin W.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with your disagreement on the existential idea that fear drives us. I also like how you pointed out the existential ideas in your novel. Do you think that Marlow will be able to overcome his struggles and eventually maintain a steady life?

    -Jamie N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin W,

    Heart of Darkness seems like an interesting novel. I wonder how one can realize their true potential without comparing or competing with someone else. If there is nothingness how would a person know to look beyond and become bigger? This has nothing to do with a higher power, I completely understand this idea that human potential can be realized by the self, but I'm wondering that if I didn't have a role model or leader to look up to I'm not sure that I would be able to know how much I can do as a person. Relativity has helped me form my idea of myself, perhaps if there was nothing I would not be who I presume I am. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic.

    Visha V. Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you took this weeks theme of existentialism into your post! I feel like you gave us a better detail of the book using something that we just reviewed in class.

    -Kyle Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heart of Darkness is actually one of my favorite books. I read it in Becker's, sophomore year. So far, I love your analysis of this book. It's refreshing to see the topic of existentialism rather than mere symbolism with this book (it was all I ever analyzed when I read it two years ago).

    There is however, one thing I disagree with. I believe that fear actually does control our lives. Actually, fear is just one thing of many. Fear is always inside us, even when we don't notice it. It drives us to think certain ways and stop us from thinking other ways. For example, fear can stop us from doing things. It can be a good and bad thing. It's good when it prevents us from doing dangerous things like driving recklessly or standing on the edge of cliff. However, it can be bad when it hinders us from taking chances. It clogs our mind with scary possibilities. I'm sure most of us have experienced this with our college apps. This fear has constantly been in my mind while I was mindlessly typing away in attempt to finish my essays for colleges that I probably won't get into. But what the hey, it's better than not trying right? This brings me to another way fear controls us. Because we are usually aware of fears detrimental effects on us, we are always trying to figure out a way to conquer its effects. "Our biggest fear is fear itself." "The only way to conquer your fears is to go right up to it." There's a lot more quotes that we have all heard. Heck, there are even books on how to conquer fear. If fear really wasn't involved in our lives that we, as a human race, would not spend so much time trying to get rid of it.

    -Stephanie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how from your post multiple points of view on life, existentialism, fear, and self growth can be conveyed and debated. I think that fear doesn't control our lives but that it is a factor in life. Tying in what Visha said if there is nothingness there is nothing to strive for and nothing or little to fear. I agree with Kevin that people can choose to conquer their fears instead of live in the confines of fear but I also see Stephanie's point that fear does play an important role in a person's actions. I think that there is a balance between living in fear and living. When a person lets fear take over their life they enter existentialism presence of nothingness.
    -Aimee E

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would be interesting to see how other authors would view the existentialist ideas presented in Heart of Darkness. Would existentialist ideas in Things Fall Apart, which was written in response to Heart of Darkness, be reflective of what the author of Things Fall Apart thinks of existentialism or would they be making an argument about the ideas presented in Heart of Darkness. It seems that comparing the books since one was written purposely as a response to another ambiguates the line between an author's personal argument and their opinion about the other work.

    -Yahya H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the novel, but existentialism is a very peculiar subject to me. Some take it as an optimistic point of view, while others view it as pessimistic with a negative view on life. What do you suppose your stance on existentialism would be?

    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  8. i absolutely agree with you that fear doesnn't control our lives and that it can only control us if we allow it to control us and take over us. Also it's great that you were able to tie something you're reading for you're independent reading to something that we learned in class.

    - Destiny O.

    ReplyDelete