Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Awakening- Part 1

Mrs. Elliott recommended that I read this book due to the fact that I needed a 19th century piece of literature to add to my list. I had no idea what to expect, and with a quick overview of the plot, I gladly accepted the challenge.

The Awakening, by Kate Chopin, is a rather short read, but the grounds upon which the plot is developed are very deep. Mrs. Pontellier (a.k.a. Edna), a mother and a wife living a very restricted lifestyle in a world where women and freedom do not combine.  In fact, many quotes in the first chapter alone suggest that Mr. Pontellier views his wife as his "property" and that she should obey what he says no matter the circumstances. The plot introduces another character from the beginning as well- Robert Lebrun. The way the author characterizes Robert as very flirtatious, and the reader does get a vibe that Robert will have something more than a friendship with Mrs. Pontellier, or at least he will try to. Robert seems to go out of his way in every opportunity possible to spend time with Mrs. Pontellier or to please her.

Madame Ratignolle (a.k.a. Adele) is another woman who lives in the same community as Edna, but she is a Creole. The two seem to be good friends, but Adele seems to be much more proper and set in the ways that women should excel in homemaking. She is a very intelligent woman and knows what Robert is after. She has even warned him that Edna "is not like [them]" and told him to stay away. However, his pursuits have still continued and Adele seems to watch in vain.

Mrs. Pontellier herself is not a Creole, but she is surrounded by a community that is. The novella is filled with French words and references and is not for those who lack the motivation for a challenge. The setting is near the Gulf of Mexico, presumably in Louisiana. During the 19th century, as we all know, women were condemned to a life of mothering and wifehood. As far as I have gotten through this book, I am expecting Mrs. Pontellier to break the barriers and leave a demeaning husband for true romance and to become a unique individual as a woman.

On an interesting note, the back cover of the novella states that after Chopin published her novella, society criticized her work for being completely abstract of a women's duties and her career in literature ended thereafter. This novella seems to have pioneered feminism, and allowed women to see that society can be egalitarian after all.

More to come when I conclude the novella.



-A. Pruett

7 comments:

  1. A world where women are expected to stay restricted in everything they do is brutal. How do you feel you would have reacted to this type of society?
    -Jonathan Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel you stated above seems like a very powerful novel, having the potential to spark a feminist movement. You being a female AShley, do you see yourself being offended by the values depicted in the society of the novel or has modern times clouded your strong judgement of that.
    -J. Choe Fasho

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first book review I have read so far that has actually inspired me to read a book--it sounds great! I could also use a short book. The only thing I want to know is: how gripping is the plot? It sounds really interesting, like we have no idea what path this woman will choose, and I'd REALLY like to know! Thanks!

    -Jillian D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Jillian I agree your review really makes me want to read the book, and I too could use a short book. It seems like the culture and values of the time really play an important role in the book, do you think that the setting also plays an important role in shaping the characters and their values?
    -Aimee E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also read The Awakening for my 19th century novel. There were clearly defined gender roles, and I didn't like how Mr. Pontellier treated Edna throughout the novel. One of the scenes that I remember very well was when Edna tried to destroy her wedding ring. There was just so much significance (and humor) behind that scene. Also, what do you think about the apple symbolism towards the end of the novel? Finally, watch out for the ending, if you haven't read it yet.

    K. Lui

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plot of this book sounds very interesting and definitely grabs my attention. I am eager to know what will happen between Edna and her husband. If you were Edna would you make the same choices as her to gain independence and happiness?

    -Jamie N

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay lots to respond to...

    @Jonathan Solomon- Being a female, and knowing what freedom is like, I would find it hard to come by this society. However, Edna hadn't known anything different than how society claimed women were inferior to men. I suppose if I had been Edna, I would have had to live that confined lifestyle.

    @Justin Choe- I'm not necessarily offended, but I am proud of Edna. At the end of the novel, she comes into her own being and defies the values set by society. She lives the life that she chose for herself, rather than what her husband had chosen in the past.

    @Jillian- The plot can become rather boring, as I took awhile just to read such a short story. However, looking back over what Edna's story has to say for the feminist movement, a deeper feeling seems to resonate in me!

    @Aimee- I think the setting really does play an important role as well. It seems that Kate Chopin, the author, took into careful consideration to place Edna in a southern society influenced greatly by France. The two cultures fused together into a single place cause the characters to act in an extremely proper way. It seems that almost every character cares greatly about what society will say, rather than just living their own lives.

    @K. Lui- I think the wedding ring scene was funny just because it was so out of character! The end of the novel was pretty intense, and I don't recall apple symbolism?

    @Jamie N.- Well, I guess in the present day, I would make the same choices as Edna. But back when women had virtually no say-so in their own lives, I think it would have been difficult to follow in Edna's footsteps. In addition, women depended mostly on their husbands for any financial assistance, most likely making it even harder to break free and live a life that they wanted.


    -Ashley Pruett

    ReplyDelete