Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Sestina Poem

A while ago Mrs. Elliott had us start writing our own Sestina poem so that we would understand how the poem is composed.  I figured since it is National Poetry Month I might as well finish my poem and post about it.  As most of you know I am a little Disney obsessed so my poem, naturally, is on Disney. (warning: if you don't like Disney I wouldn't recommend reading it)


Oh how I love Disney
From the famous Mickey Mouse,
To the turrets on the castle
It is a world of creativity called Disneyland
From finally wearing the prized mouse ears
To soaring over the clouds on the Dumbo ride

Why is the line so long for the Dumbo Ride?
Funny how a flying elephant becomes a symbol of Disney
As a child waits she holds her mouse ears
On her shirt is the classic Mickey Mouse
Impatiently she wonders if this is the best ride in Disneyland
She stares off as she waits at the back of the castle

Residing at the end of Main Street is the magnificent castle
Through the gates kids scream of joy on the Dumbo ride
All around is the essence of Disneyland
Where the dreams of a man called Mr. Disney
Says it all started with a mouse, Mickey mouse
The three simple circles have inspired mouse ears.

On a string is a balloon with beloved mouse ears,
That reflects in the pond around the castle.
In the perfect spot people pose for pictures with Mickey mouse
Childhood is calling to go on the Dumbo ride
Oh how these memories make the magic of Disney
The joy that creates Disneyland

There is only one place called Disneyland
Where the old and young are allowed to wear mouse ears
This idea of never being too old or young is unique to Disney
No one is too old to dream of living in the castle
Reality is allowed to stand still and elephants can soar at the Dumbo Ride
Joy spreads across a child’s face just by hearing “look there’s Mickey Mouse”

An anthropomorphic black mouse has become the icon Mickey Mouse
He is the leader of the club at Disneyland
Although he isn’t the only mouse, Timothy resides atop the Dumbo Ride
Who knew that one animation short would lead to people wearing mouse ears
And fireworks every night over the castle?
One mouse has encompassed everything that is Disney

A chance to become part of the magic by wearing mouse ears
Age relives memories of the past, and youth may savor the promise of the future at Disneyland
All thanks to the vision and risk taking of the company and family that is Disney



If you do like Disney and poetry Disney has "A poem is.." video series where they have celebrities read poems and they pair it with classic Disney animation.  
 http://disney.go.com/disneyjunior/a-poem-is/a-poem-is-videos-episodes
-Aimee E

9 comments:

  1. This is a great Sestina that describes Disney. It makes me want to post mine. Great job!
    -Jonathan S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you, I am a Disney lover. Every word in your Sestina made me feel as if I were really at Disneyland! This was perfect.
    -Secada C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee, this is so great! It must've been hard reusing all of those words in that order (especially since they're so similar), but it reminded me a lot about the various symbols and experiences of Disneyland. I forgot how many ears and hidden Mickeys there are at Disneyland.

    -Jillian D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an extremely thoughtful poem! When I attempted my Sestina poem, I found it hard to continue it all the way through. But your finished product sounds pretty incredible. :)

    -Ashley Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your poem. It was creative and fun to read and each line flowed together nicely.

    -Jamie N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the positive feedback. :) Jonathan you definitely should post yours. Jillian you are right it was hard towards the end to not repeat the same thing with my words being so close.
    -Aimee E

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AMAZING.
    Sestina itself is really hard to do, and you did it well! Sure, it's not perfect...but that's not what mattered to me, personally.
    i LOVED the essence of Disneyland that you captured! it brought a lot of tactical(?) senses to my mind and made me LONG to go back already! :D
    -Kristen E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely be checking it out! :)
    -Kristen E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee your sestina poem is awesome! I like how you described the imagination behind the Disneyland and the importance of Mickey Mouse to you. To be honest, I never liked the Dumbo ride as a kid, as oblivious as I was, I could never figure out how to move the flying elephant up and down...it was terrible. But Disneyland, no matter the age of the person, always seems to hold importance in a person's creativity and play a role in young families too. I really liked the creativity and your sense of imagination that you used for your poem!

    -Carleen R

    ReplyDelete