Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Help


For my novel I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I had only heard of good reviews of the book and I enjoyed the movie so I thought it would be a good book.  The main synopsis of the book is the story from African American maids working in Southern Mississippi white housewives’ homes during the 1960s.  The story is told in a similar way to The Poisonwood Bible in that the story is told through multiple characters, Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter.  Aibileen works for the Leefolt family cleaning and taking care of their toddler.  Minny is the outspoken maid who acts before thinking of consequences most of the time.  Skeeter, a recent grad of Old Miss College, dreams of being a writer, and is somewhat of a rebel in the way she thinks about society in the South. 

So far, the main defining elements in the book are the setting, how the setting shapes the society, and the society as a whole.  The story, or rather stories, take place in Jackson, Mississippi; this in itself helps explain parts of the story.  The South is known for its slavery and having been very slow to end slavery.  Personally growing up for five years in Texas even in 2002 people would comment that “we are still fighting the War of Northern Aggression…there was nothing civil about that war. ”  In a sense, these maids of the wealthy white households are kept separated as if they are practically still slaves.  Hilly Holbrook, who Minny worked for, for awhile, proposes a sanitation bill that declares it unsanitary for the help to use the guest bathroom or any bathroom in the house that the white people use because the whites could get diseases from the black help.  She demands that households build a bathroom outside of the house just for the help to use. 

In this way the ideals of the South in the 1960’s influences the society.  The group of white Junior League ladies, who hire the help, create a society built on petty sorority, to the extreme and rules.  Hilly could be considered the ruthless ruler.  She controls what goes on in the Junior League meetings, who is excommunicated, and what is the ideal way to live.  The rules of this southern society are made by Hilly as she goes.  Besides Hilly’s rules there are general society rules: the white people are expected to have help, the white women are expected to go to college to find a husband and then not finish, and the help are expected to raise the white children that then become their employers.  For all three narrators these “rules” are what they come to question.  Skeeter is the only one who has finished college and the only one out of all of her friends to not be married.  The society puts a lot of pressure to conform to these rules.  Minny used to work for Hilly but once Minny crossed Hilly she was fired.  Hilly didn’t stop at just firing her, Hilly had to make sure Minny would learn from her mistake so Hilly claimed that Minny stole from her.  This doesn’t seem like it would mean that much, but Hilly being the queen of society that Minny is essentially ruined destroying all chances of getting another job.  No one was going to dare and hire Minny and have to face the wrath of Hilly.  All except Celia Foote who is on the outside of Hilly’s society circle.  Celia is on the outs because she married an old boyfriend of queen Hilly’s, that Hilly never truly got over.  Celia in essence serves as a loophole in Hilly’s society; Celia longs to be part of this society but by being on the outs she opens up changes in society.

            There are many changes in society coming from the help being willing to talk to Skeeter.  Skeeter, the aspiring writer, decides that she wants to write a book about the help and the “irony that they (the employer) love them (the help) yet...They don’t even allow them to use the toilet in the house.”  Skeeter who has to deal with the pressures of society herself sees the unjust pressures put on the help.  She wants to bring change in her own society and life.
-Aimee E

16 comments:

  1. Great post, I actually intend on reading this book. I watched the movie, and it was very funny, and adressed a very touchy subject in a very good way. My mom as well has read the book and has said nothing but good things about it. Cant wait to read it!

    -Kyle Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it unique when the authors choose to tell the story through multiple characters...it helps to combine a variety of elements to allow the book to touch on different subjects in different ways. The Poisonwood Bible was the first book I read with multiple characters, and I found it intriguing. The plot of The Help seems pretty interesting as well and I will put this on my to read list.

    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have a fondness towards novels with multiple perspectives, because of the different opinions and ideas that are encountered. A favorite book that incorporates this style is the book, My Sister's Keeper (which was also made into a movie starring Cameron Diaz).

    -Stephanie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Help is a book that I definitely want to read during this semester. The storyline sounds very interesting and I like how it is told in a similar way to The Poisonwood Bible. I think that books that use various characters to tell the story are easier to read and more captivating.

    -Jamie N

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also reading "The Help" and I find it interesting that you're able to read about the mutliple characters' perspectives. It allows the reader to be able to understand the help's mentality and everything that goes through their mind. These characters are all brave in my eyes for having the courage to write a book about their experiences with their employers.

    -Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For everyone reading "The Help", is it good so far? I've just started to read it, but I want to know how similar it is to the movie, and if the characters create a truly accurate picture of 1960's Mississippi. Is this a true interpretation with in-depth research, or did Stockett just get lucky and figure out all of the information? Because it took sixty tries to get this published, I want to know if there's anything wrong with it.

    -Jillian D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jillian , I have been reading the help also and I personally think that there are many parts that are just like the movie. So much that when you read it the movie begins to play back in your head. The characters in the movie play almost word by word from the book. I feel that if you loved the movie you will also love the book.

    - Rachel V.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read the book, but when I watched the movie, it disgusted me. I was truely embarassed knowing that white people treated their help like this. In most cases now a days the help is better treated, thank God.
    I do, however, understand a one thing where Hilly was coming from. In the '60s, the AIDS epidemic scared many people, thinking they could catch the diesase from sitting on a toilet seat that others use. There was also the idea (which is now proven completely false, might I add) that black people were the ones highly infested with AIDS, not whites.
    That is litterally the only thing I can see where Hilly was coming from in a non-negative way: this was just '60s ignorance, and that's not her fault. However, everything else she did made her seem like the Devil's spawn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jillian, I agree with Rachel the book is a lot like the move, which helps because you really know the characters from the beginning. There are chapters that weren't in the movie so it's not completely the same. I think that the Help does creates a good picture of the 1960's Mississippi. It does do a good job showing how the Junior league treated their help, and all of the segregation they had to deal with. I think it took a long time to get published because it's kind of a unique concept, that either works or fails, and I'm sure that there are people in Mississippi that still wouldn't want a book published that would portray them as The Help does.

    Summer, I agree with you that the only way you can judge Hilly's actions is to consider her '60's ignorance. She is definitely a villain in the story, who has to control everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your analysis and now I want to read this novel. I have never seen then movie before so this was very insightful.
    -Jonathan S

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it amazing how one person can stand up for what they belive in even though they may be alone. I have not seen this movie but your insightfulness makes me even more intrigued to go see it as well as read the book.


    -Kelly R.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wassup Aimeeee(:
    This book looks really good! I like learning about the history of racial equality and how African Americans stood up for themselves in a society that told them they had no worth. The use of perspectives from different house maids seems like it would make the book even better. It allows for different outlooks on the society they lived on, based on who their employer is and what their personality is like. I'd like to read this. (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. This review was very insightful. I am currently reading the novel and as kelly said I love how one person was able to stand up, no matter what the consequences were, for what she believed was right. Although the book didnt interest me as much because I felt it was TOO similar to the movie. I was expecting something a little diffrent. But overall i Loved the movie and i do encourage people to read the novel.
    -jessica w

    ReplyDelete